Ph.D. Clark University, 2011
- Urban theory
- Political geography
- Geographic information science
- Land use policy
- The informal regulation of urban space/place
- The sustainability of competing urban practices
- The politics of place-making and urban development
- Joseph Pierce, Deborah G. Martin, Alex Scherr, and Amelia Greiner, 2012, “Urban politics and mental health: an agenda for health geographic research,” Annals of the Association of American Geographers 102(5) 1084-1092.
- Joseph Pierce, Deborah G. Martin, and James T. Murphy, 2011, “Relational place-making: the networked politics of place,” Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 36(1) 54-70.
- Joseph Pierce, 2010, “Reinvigorating the concept of land tenure for American urban geography,” Geography Compass 4(12) 1747-1757.